Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vlog Blog

If pictures say a thousand words, how many do videos say? Certainly an exponential amount. Here's my genius idea of the week: a YouTube Vlog of my daily life here in Bangkok. YouTube has made it incredibly fast and easy to upload a set of videos and create playlists for easy, 1-click viewing. Please bear with me as I learn how to film my phone videos horizontally. Subscribe to my channel here or see the Vlog here (click).

FYI-- There will be frequent videos filmed from the perspective of my navel while I drive my bike; my camera is hanging from a neckstrap. In case you were confused.

I have to say that tonight is the most peaceful night I have experienced since my arrival. I think we may have had a slight sprinkle-- the temperature has dropped to a pleasant 85 or so. Maddie flew in 2 nights ago and arrived at our apartment yesterday! She is still catching up on sleep so I am taking the opportunity to watch as much TV that I have missed as possible (Modern Family, Parks & Rec...SNL) and majorly chill out. We watched the Bourne Identity tonight which made me go into super stealth mode and feel like sneaking around the apartment to check stuff out.  Proof:


Beautiful, right? I wish there were more people around to have a pool party with. Hopefully I can soak up some rays in the near future. I have been wondering why no one is taking advantage of the pool in this 93 degree weather. Today I remembered one of the possible reasons while perusing the skin care aisle at the store: Thais are just as obsessed with being white as American Caucasian girls are with being tan! It's such as interesting "grass is always greener" situation.

My first whole week here has been very chill overall. I've been eating almost strictly street food--which has saved a ton of money-- and taking my bike everywhere. Salaya is a great little city to live in and the people are incredibly friendly. My apartment is quite comfortable.... 


Though taxis to school generally are not (when full of 8 people):

(bad panorama... it was ridiculously hard)

Clinical work is going to be very interesting. I could understand a lot of what was going on in the clinic and the hospital from nonverbal cues and tone of voice, but there is a lot to learn before I'm going to feel like I can do much work here! For right now, the Thais seem to be thrilled if I agree to sing "Que Sera, Sera" for them upon request... but I don't need a degree for that, after all. I'll post more about clinical work as I am more involved. For right now, I feel like I have a giant "processing" sign across my forehead as I try to comprehend all that I'm seeing. 

I found this book in the music library and I'm really starting to think that it's about to become my best friend. Today a taxi driver had a good laugh at my attempts to speak Thai and my complete inability to understand his teasing.


Tomorrow we will go to Chatuchak (JJ) Weekend Market; the world's largest weekend market with over 15,000 stalls and a span of 35 acres. I'm sure I will have some fantastic pictures and maybe a gift or two for whoever reads this blog :P

Short and sweet! Check out my "vlog"

No comments:

Post a Comment